We have collected the most complete guide to the ketogenic diet in the three most popular types. You will learn how to stick to your diet and can make a set menu for a ketogenic diet.
The foundations and varieties of diet ketogenic diet
This type of power relates to variants of a diet low in carbohydrates. There are three most popular varieties of this system:
- Standard ketogenic diet.
- Cyclic ketogenic diet.
- Targeted ketogenic diet.
Ketogenic diet known for quite some time, it has a lot of fans, especially among athletes. In the most General form of this type of power can be thought of as a diet enriched with fats and protein components.
Carbohydrates are present in the menu no more than 10% of the total quantity of ingredients used. With the help of this diet in the human body triggered mechanisms of splitting their own fat reserves with the formation of hydrocarbon components that serve as further source of energy.
The ketogenic diet in many cases can help achieve specific objectives:
- Enhanced fat burning.
- Improving the parameters of strength and endurance.
Basically, this type of food is used in the practice of athletes, however, the diet is based on ketogenic diet gives positive results in the treatment of patients with epilepsy.
Many wonder what is the fundamental difference between ketogenic diet from many other power systems with a low amount of carbohydrates. Indeed, the differences are not so much, then we will discuss this issue in more detail.
To understand the meaning of the ketogenic diet, it is necessary to consider the physiological processes in the body. Consideration of options for the diet will help to choose the right menu in each case, to awaken a taste for products with low content of carbohydrate components.
What is a ketosis?
Under ketosis refers to a specific state of the organism when it start the process of intensive formation of ketone bodies. As the name implies, this occurs by reducing the amount of carbohydrates in your diet.
Ketone bodies are special structures that are formed in the liver when lacking in nutrients (especially with lack of carbohydrates). Ketone molecules are synthesized from fatty acids, they are transported to the desired on and utilized as an energy source.
The formation of ketone bodies occurs in the body and without complying with the food restrictions, but their content is so low that the urine test does not show them.
But if you increase the amount of ketones in the blood (ketonemia) in the study of urine they are also. These manifestations indicate presence of the organism in a state of ketosis.
The ketogenic diet aims to change metabolism towards increasing synthesis of ketones. This wastes fatty acids resulting from fat breakdown. However, do not confuse between the condition ketosis pathological origin, which arise due to diseases.
The ketogenic diet: possible options
Proper selection of the ketogenic diet largely determines the speed of achieving the desired goals, but in practice the choice of diet is often chaotic. To determine the right options to consider priorities for the individual.
The most popular are the following types of diets:
- Standard. This type of diet is a classic. The traditional ketogenic diet is not periods to replenish the reserves of carbohydrates, as in other embodiments. The income of the food rich in proteins and fats, is constant. The content of carbohydrate and nutrients in food is extremely low.
- Cyclic. As the name suggests, this variant of the diet involves alternating no carbohydrate and carbohydrate periods. Purpose of carbohydrate periods is primarily glycogen replenishment in muscle tissue. Periods and the duration of each of them are selected individually, this is largely dependent on priorities, intended purpose and sport mode.
- Targeted. This type of diet involves the intake of carbohydrate in the short term. Usually, carbohydrate foods are consumed during a training window. In this case, they provide the body with energy, General condition of ketosis is not disturbed.
The choice of option
To understand if in practice one or another version of the diet, you should monitor your status in the process of compliance. You need to evaluate how changing physical activity and overall health by changing diet.
Recommend to build a diet based on the traditional standard diet. Practicing this type of diet for several weeks you can evaluate how a change of diet favorably affects all the parameters of the body. If in the short term well-being is not severely affected, then you can start to diet for a longer period.
Also need to consider what the ultimate goals are pursued. Typically, such diet or practise for weight loss, or building muscle. It is important to understand that has the largest value of the total energy value of food consumed, subject to the normal for the level version of the diet were not significant.
However, it is believed that the classical ketogenic diet is more suitable for those who want to lose weight and build muscle optimum is a cyclical variant. Is justified by the fact that hydrocarbons periods will protect against destruction of your own muscle protein (since carbs contribute to the production of insulin).
The classical ketogenic diet the indicators of low insulin. However, as practice shows, in the long term these changes in the concentration of insulin is not essential, and of the total caloric content of the diet depends largely on the achievement of objectives.
However, there are General recommendations concerning the choice of the variant of the ketogenic diet. Thus, the standard ketogenic diet more suitable to people who do not lead a very active lifestyle.
The decrease in the influx of carbs would not materially affect their performance. This option is good to use in those situations where the training regime is not great intensity. In addition, the standard ketogenic diet is acceptable for persons with high insulin resistance.
When the training regime sufficiently intense, the person feels unwell while reducing carbohydrate food in the diet, it is better to give preference to targeted diet. Foods containing carbohydrates should be consumed before sports, or directly after them. Targeted ketogenic diet is suitable for those who train long enough and actively; in this case, a small intake of carbohydrates will be more useful long-term limitations.
It is believed that the cyclic variant of the ketogenic diet is the most optimal. During the carbohydrate and carbohydrate no of cycles man gradually adapts to the change of diet, an estimate of the number of products needed.
Cyclical ketogenic diet is ideal for those involved with high intensity and at the same time feels weakness if insufficient intake of carbohydrate. In this case, the hydrocarbons periods will help to replenish depleted body reserves, which will allow you to keep the intensity to the desired level.
How to make menu ketogenic diet the individual
Developing for itself, the menu is standard ketogenic diet (SKD), you must take into account the individual characteristics of the organism, it needs energy, vitamins and other biologically significant elements. These indicators will be useful for those who prefer a cyclical diet or TKD.
If you want to lose weight, the energy value of food must be less than 500 kcal from the norm. But if on the contrary, you need to gain weight, the calorie content should be higher than normal for the same five hundred units. These indicators can vary significantly depending on the physiology and energy of the body. Also, for example, cyclic diet provides the ability to change caloric intake during the week.
The ketogenic diet is a type of nutrition in which a particular image is calculated amount of proteins, fats and carbohydrates: fats and proteins should be significantly more compared to carbohydrates. Calculation of average rate of biologically significant elements for CDS are produced in sequence. Consider all this with an example:
- Calorie calculator helps you to calculate daily requirements of energy. (We will use the average of 2000 calories);
- The rate of protein per day – 2 gr. dry weight per kg. weight. Accordingly, a person weighing 75 kg needs a day to consume 150 gr. proteins;
- Carbohydrate needs 0,20 – 0,40 g/kg. Hence, the total amount of 15-30 grams. a day. (In our example, we will use the second indicator);
- One gram of protein and carbohydrates has a caloric value of 4 units. Produce simple calculations: 150+30=180; 180*4=720 kcal per day due to consumption of these nutrients;
- Calculate the number of necessary fats from the total number of calories (2000) subtract 720. It turns out that 1280 calories should derive from fat. One gram of fat contains 9 kcal. The resulting amount of energy is divided by 9, and the result is the daily rate of fat will amount to 142 gr.
So, daily intake of protein is 150 gr., carbohydrates – 30 g. and fats – 142 gr. Divide into the number of meals. If you have three meals a day, then at once it is necessary to take 50 grams. protein, 10 gr. carbohydrates and in the first intake of 48 grams. fats, the other two of the 47.
If the food is divided into five times, we get: 30 gr. protein and 5 grams. carbohydrates, and fats in the first two receptions for 29 gr. and the remaining three for 28.
Allowed and forbidden foods for the ketogenic diet
In this power system there are no strict limits. You can eat almost everything, observing moderation, of course. Although it is believed that the diet to exclude sugar and starchy foods, as they are able to slow down the transition process of metabolism in a state of ketosis. But in small amounts they will not become an obstacle, especially for people with a larger build.
Recommended to include in menu ketogenic diet the following products:
- Red meat and other animal proteins;
- Egg whites (not often possible with yolk);
- Butter, cheese, sour cream and other dairy products with high fat;
- Different vegetable oils;
- Peanuts, walnuts and other nuts and pasty mixtures of them, flax seed, olives;
- Green vegetables with high content of organic fibers.
During the intensive phase of the diet it is not necessary to reduce the consumption of sugar and starch. For this, the menu needs to be enabled in a variety of fruits.
Ketogenic diet menu for a day, a week
Consider the approximate schedule of power during TKD with five meals for a person with a heightened sensitivity to insulin. Calculations are made for the training day for an athlete weighing 75 lbs. and consumes 3000 kcal (this menu can stick to as a single day or week):
- The first appointment before workout: protein – 30 gr., carbohydrates – 40 g, fat – 20 gr.;
- The second reception completion of training: protein – 30 gr., carbs – 35 g, fat – 20 gr.;
- In the last three doses of proteins, fats and carbohydrates will be the same: protein-30 grams. at each meal, carbohydrates by 10 grams. and too fat to 30 grams.
I hope this detailed review of the ketogenic diet was beneficial for you and help you to make the first, and most importantly, the right steps towards your dream body. Most importantly, listen to the voice of your body which will tell you when and what he needs to. Don't be afraid to experiment and to learn something new, because it is useful not only for body but for soul.
Every person and, consequently, the body individual therefore, if, adhering to the ketogenic diet, you feel not the best way, feel weak and can't lead a normal life, do not force your body, but just accept the fact that belong to the second category of people, which is characterized by intolerance to such a diet.
In the end, the diet should meet your objectives, i.e. to promote the formation of a beautiful and healthy body, and also strengthen overall health without becoming an integral part of your life.
It is not necessary to bring everything in the victim's diet and those who do are fundamentally wrong, because to sacrifice one for the other is not necessary. No matter good this diet or not, as long as it suits you.
More benefit will be when you stick to the plan of action and diet that will not impair health, but rather to strengthen it. Most importantly, do not turn off the chosen path and move confidently towards the goal.